Elected State Representative 1999-2007
- 9 years in the Washington State Legislature representing the 44th District
-5 years in leadership as Speaker Pro Tempore
- Wrote and Sponsored the Primary Seat Belt Law, which increased usage from 81 percent to more than 97 percent, saving countless lives.
- Sponsored the nationally recognized Auto Theft Task Force
-Significantly reduced number of auto thefts in Snohomish County and gave longer sentences for thieves
Elected Snohomish County Sheriff in 2007 and served until 2013
- Successfully merged the Snohomish County Jail with the Sheriff’s Office, which streamlined County resources and saving tax dollars
- Created and implemented the School Services Unit, which impacted more than 100 schools in Snohomish County, three months after the tragedy at Newtown, responding to the communities’ overwhelming desire for a heightened police presence to safeguard our children
- Established the Snohomish County Gang Community Response Team.
- Implemented countywide neighborhood watch crime prevention program.
- Saved jobs, and maintained an exceptional level of law enforcement services by utilizing attrition and strategic replacement techniques throughout economic recession and severe budgetary reductions.
- Sergeant, Washington State Patrol, 31 years of service
-Trooper of the Year in 1992.
- United States Coast Guard, 13 years of honorable service.
- Mill Creek City Council, 5 years of service, 1 year Mayor Pro Tempore.
- Youth basketball, baseball and football coach.
- Active community volunteer.
- Proud resident of Snohomish County for 38 years.
- Donated over 1000 deep-fried turkeys to Snohomish County and Statewide charitable organizations.
- Snohomish County NAACP
World’s proudest husband, father and grandfather